This beautiful book is available to pre-order from Subterranean Press and will be published in September 2020.
The trade edition is a fully cloth bound hardback ($45) and there’s 250 copies of the limited edition signed by most of the contributers ($125).
Dust jacket illustration by Anna & Elana Balbusso.
I feel very honoured to have worked with Ellen Datlow and to be included in this volume with “The Crow Palace”, a story that appeared Black Feather: Dark Avian Tales, her bird themed horror anthology (2017).
Edited By is a thoroughgoing attempt to reflect both the quality and infinite variety of the fiction she has championed in the course of her career. The stories gathered here come from all over the literary map. There are SF, fantasy, and horror stories, often in unique combinations. There are household names among the contributors, such as Neil Gaiman, whose screenplay/story “Eaten (Scenes from a Moving Picture)” is a chilling account of eater and eaten, predator and prey. There are newer, lesser known figures as well, among them Nathan Ballingrud, whose “Monsters of Heaven” is an achingly beautiful story of grief, loss, and strange encounters. And there are many award-winning writers included, among them Elizabeth Hand, Kelly Link, Lucius Shepard, Ted Chiang, and Jeffrey Ford, to name just a few. Their contributions are among the many highlights of this book.
-Gary K. Wolfe
Table of Contents:
- Introduction by Gary K. Wolfe
- Home by the Sea by Pat Cadigan
- The Evolution of Trickster Stories Among the Dogs of North Park After the Change by Kij Johnson
- The Bedroom Light by Jeffrey Ford
- The Carrion Gods in Their Heaven by Laird Barron
- The Crow Palace by Priya Sharma
- Some Strange Desire by Ian McDonald
- The Lepidopterist by Lucius Shepard
- Bird Count by Jane Yolen
- Anamorphosis by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- The Hortlak by Kelly Link
- In the Month of Athyr by Elizabeth Hand
- Precious by Nalo Hopkinson
- Daniel’s Theory About Dolls by Stephen Graham Jones
- The Mysteries by Livia Llewellyn
- Dancing Men by Glen Hirshberg
- The Office of Doom by Richard Bowes
- Black Nightgown by K. W. Jeter
- A Delicate Architecture Catherynne M. Valente
- The Goosle by Margo Lanagan
- Eaten (Scenes from a Moving Picture) by Neil Gaiman
- Teratisms by Kathe Koja
- The Monsters of Heaven by Nathan Ballingrud
- That Old School Tie by Jack Womack
- Love and Sex Among the Invertebrates by Pat Murphy
- Overlooking by Carol Emshwiller
- Sonny Liston Takes the Fall by Elizabeth Bear
- Technicolor by John Langan
- The Sawing Boys by Howard Waldrop
- Shay Corsham Worsted by Garth Nix
- Seventy-Two Letters by Ted Chiang
- Interview with Ellen Datlow by Gwenda Bond