The British Fantasy Society announced the winners for the 2019 British Fantasy Awards on October 20, 2019 during FantasyCon 2019 at the Golden Jubilee Conference Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland.
I love British Fantasy Con – it’s one of the highlights of my year. I loved seeing old friends and meeting new ones.
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees.
I was delighted just to be nominated alongside the other writers in the Best Collection category. I’ve read many of the books in the group and can thoroughly recommend them. Rosanne Rabinowitz’ work is humane and brave, leaping from the future to past seamlessly. Thana Niveau’s pure love and knowledge of the horror genre sings off the page. Marian Womack writes a salutory collection for our times of climate change. I look forward N.K. Jemisin’s and Catherynne M. Valente’s collections, both of which have garnered high praise.
I owe lots of thanks for the collection. The British Fantasy Society, the jurors, and the voters. To Mike Kelly, Carolyn MacDonnell-Kelly and Courtney Kelly of Undertow Press. Mike believed in this book when I didn’t. To Jeffrey Alan Love and C7 Shiina for allowing us to use their beautiful artwork, and to Vince Haig (who is good at everything) for his cover design. Ellen Datlow, who has been so important to me as a reader and a writer. To Paula Guran, always. To TTA Press and Tor.com. To everyone who has ever published me, in fact. To my family. And Mark Greenwod, my partner.
And the genre writing community, where I have made friends and felt at home. Thanks you.
Best Fantasy Novel (the Robert Holdstock Award)
Best Horror Novel (the August Derleth Award)
Best Short Story
- WINNER: “Down Where Sound Comes Blunt”, G.V. Anderson (F&SF 3-4/18)
- “Telling Stories”, Ruth E.J. Booth (The Dark 12/18)
- “Her Blood the Apples, Her Bones the Trees”, Georgina Bruce (The Silent Garden)
- “In the Gallery of Silent Screams”, Carole Johnstone & Chris Kelso (Black Static 9-10/18)
- “A Son of the Sea”, Priya Sharma (All the Fabulous Beasts)
- “Thumbsucker”, Robert Shearman (New Fears 2)
Best Independent Press
- WINNER: Noise and Sparks, Ruth EJ Booth (Shoreline of Infinity)
Best Magazine / Periodical
- Black Static
- Ginger Nuts of Horror
- Shoreline of Infinity
- David Rix
- Daniele Serra
- Sophie E Tallis
Best Comic / Graphic Novel
- 100 Demon Dialogues, Lucy Bellwood (Toonhound)
- The Prisoner, Robert S. Malan & John Cockshaw (Luna)
- B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1, Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Guy Davis, Tyler Crook & Dave Stewart (Dark Horse)
- Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories, Vol. 1, Mike Mignola, et al. (Dark Horse)
- Saga #49-54, Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples (Image)
- WINNER: Breaking the Glass Slipper Podcast
- Bedtime Stories for the End of the World Podcast
- Blood on Satan’s Claw, Mark Morris (Bafflegab)
Best Film / Television Production
- WINNER: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Black Panther
- The Haunting of Hill House
- Inside No. 9, series 4
Best Newcomer (the Sydney J Bounds Award)
Ian Whates received the Karl Edward Wagner Award, a “special award for contribution to genre.”
Winners were chosen by jury, except for the Karl Edward Wagner Award, which was chosen by the BFS committee.